Monday, April 11, 2011

Accomplishment

Our weekend accomplishment: Project Front Yard.

Sadly our trip to Pullman was canceled.

Justin had taken Friday off, and I was scheduled for a half-day.

Rewind a few months: Justin explained to me that before our front yard was to be re-done, we had to clear out our garage. And by clearing out the garage, he meant building shelves so the "stuff" had a place to live. He was tired of tripping on all the bins.

Fast forward to Wednesday (of last week): Since Pullman was no longer on our weekend agenda, Justin's plan for Friday was to build shelves in our garage. Saturday and Sunday plans were dedicated to Project Front Yard.

Unfortunately, I do not have pictures of Justin's fabulous building skills. But trust me, it made a world of difference in our garage and we are loving the space!

Now, to the front yard. My hope this year was to make our front yard nice. I envision a green lawn, some pretty flowers in the garden beds, and some hanging baskets you'd see in BHG.

The reality is far from my dream, but I'll slowly get there.

This was my front yard.


I know, it's sad.
Anyway, Friday we ripped out the last standing scrub and built a garden bed in it's place.

No flowers yet, but in May I'll look for the sales :)

Saturday morning we woke up super early. I rented a sod-cutter, and only had 4 hours to use it.

My dad and brother Rick offered their services.


After a few hours, Rick and my Dad went to the Sounders game (They won - YAH!)

Justin and I took the sod-cutter back, and picked up a rotter-tiller. (I think that's what they're called)


After a minor mishap,


Justin figured it out.


Then we rolled and raked it out.


After what felt like a hundred times rolling and raking, we laid the Tagro down.

And it's true, it smells.


After we laid the Tagro down, rolled it again, we were ready to seed.

We had dinner plans on Saturday though. So, we opted to leave the seeding for Sunday.

We went out to dinner with Justin's cousin and his wife, along with their cousin and his wife.

We then went bar hopping on 6th ave...fun!


Sunday morning we woke up and started working.

My brother and Dad came over (thank goodness) to assist.

Ryan even offered to help.




While all the rolling, raking, and seeding was going on, we had some very friendly birds that were helping. And by helping I mean eating all the worms.

This lead me to believe that they were going to eat all my seeds as well.

I bought some twine and some stakes to put in my freshly seeded yard.

I may have gone overboard...



Times this picture by 100 strings. Drive past my house for proof.

Those birds will NOT be eating my seeds :)

Project Front Yard complete!

Hopefully by the end of May, early June I'll have a fresh, green lawn.

Thanks Justin for all your hard work!

Thanks Dad and Rick for your hard work too!

And a SPECIAL THANK YOU to my Mom, who watched Ryan from Friday - Sunday, even over night. You probably worked the hardest! :)

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Holy smokes you guys got a lot done! Now I am feeling lazy:) Can't wait to see your yard in full bloom!

Anonymous said...

I second Sarah. Nice work and I feel lazy too. I want to see pictures of the garage!